Josh just became a Cub Scout in August. It's taken me a little while to get the hang of the Scout world. But when I saw how excited Josh was about the approaching Pinewood Derby, I knew I should get more serious. So, I got on the troop e-mail list. That was a good first step :)
Then Matt took the reigns from there. He and Josh started Googling How to Build Pinewood Derby cars. Then they called Chad Gasaway, the Pinewood Derby master. And then they started working, together.
Josh really learned a lot about energy and friction, weight and momentum, building and tools, painting, and patience. They worked on the car for about two weeks. Most of the time was spent sanding, painting, and waiting for the paint to dry. The result is a sweet car!
Make that a sweet car that is really fast!! Josh's car won the ward Pinewood Derby. First he won the Cub class, then the whole thing. He was so excited about his car and all the work he and Matt had done together. Now he gets to race at Districts!
1 comment:
We just had our first pinewood derby experience last Friday. Tanner didn't come in last, which was all I cared about.
Congrats on your family's win -- maybe I'll have my husband contact yours next year. . .
Oh, and crazy about the volcano -- I hope you have a garden!
Post a Comment