Mix a long freeze and a sudden thaw with a little creek and a culvert and what do you get?
~A neighborhood ice rink~
It was below zero here for a couple weeks in a row. brrrr! When it warmed up and water started trickling again, it had nowhere to go. So it started to flood daily and freeze nightly until it created a huge ice rink in the greenbelt behind our house. Josh measured the area and it's 280ft. x 150ft. I bought Josh and Liz some used ice-skates and they have been skating for hours every afternoon with all the neighborhood kids. Watch out Scotty Gomez and Ekaterina Gordeeva (yes, I had to look up that name).
Eventually someone's crawl space started flooding and city workers came out with a giant steam gun that blasted a tunnel through the culvert. That was really cool for everyone to watch. So, there is no more dam, but the ice rink remains and it is awesome! The spring thaw might be interesting, but at least we know there is someone we can call who has a giant steam gun!
What about Tali? She and I "skate" in our boots.
2 comments:
That looks so fun!!!!
This makes me miss AK. Almost.
Oh, and something I think you might find funny. I was called as YW secretary. I am trying to remember all that you did in that calling (that was your calling, right?). Maybe I will get it right, eventually.
Post a Comment