May 5, 2008

Our trip to Bisbee, AZ

We are home from Arizona and SO happy to see the kids! Matt and I had a rockin' time on our vacation; and from all accounts, it seems the kids had a great time at home, minus the snowstorm.

We competed in La Vuelta de Bisbee in Bisbee, AZ. Bisbee is an old mining town, turned hippie town. It's very interesting and querky. It's built right on the side of the mountains, where they were mining. Downtown has lots of artsy shops and great restaurants that are only open on the weekends. This is a picture of Bisbee from on top of a hill we climbed.



My mom and Dennis flew to Tucson and met us in Bisbee for two days. They watched the second time trial and the final road race. They didn't even tease us about our TT (aka Rocketman) gear. But, then again, Dennis has been wearing shorty running shorts for years. They barely missed Matt's incredible finish - he was so quick they didn't expect him yet. But they did see me finish a little later. We had a great time with them and it was nice to have someone cheering, bringing us water and buying us dinner!

Matt did amazing in the race. He started off with a 7th place, followed by a 2nd place, then 15th place and 1st in the final road race, which was such a long and hilly race. That put him in third place overall. He won a little cash, which he put toward the kids' trampoline fund. My results were not quite as spectacular as Matt's, but I was still pleased. I have learned to live in the shadow of Matt's glory - haha! I was very consistent finishing 19th, 18th, 19th, 16th, putting me in 18th overall. No cash or trophies but that's not bad for a mom of three racing against girls 10 years younger than me :)

This is me heading of for the 2nd time trial. Rocketman! Next is Matt and I after the end of the last stage looking tired, releived, and maybe a little bit victorious!



While we were in Bisbee we toured the old Queen Copper Mine. I tried out the bike that supposedly belonged the mine supervisors. Matt tried out the toilet. It was a great trip, but like I said, we're glad to be home with the kids, minus the laundry.



Coming soon: The building of the trampoline

3 comments:

Heather said...

Congrats on your races. I loved the mining photos. I love your hair Tiffanie...so wish mine was long and lovely like yours.

Smedley Family said...

WELCOME BACK!!! You got a nice tan!! Im so excited that you guys are getting a tramp!! The kids LOVE it. The only problem we ever have is kids that aren't used to it sometimes fall off. No injuries, just humorous. Just remember to always do the next spring across the trampoline (four corners thing) instead of in a row around the circle, otherwise the mat wont stretch and fit. Tell all hi for us!! We'll call you for dinner and dodgeball on the tramp!! The kids wanted the sprinkler under it the other day, too cold! They're crazy!

Anonymous said...

you two are the coolest! i can't believe you race, you're amazing!