So . . .
I'm doing a triathlon next month. I've been biking, running and even swimming. It's not my first triathlon and I'm no stranger to biking or running. And how hard is swimming, right? :) Nonetheless, I'm still a triathlon newbie. There are so many logistics involved when you have to switch between three sports and the time it takes you to "switch" is included in your total race time.
So . . .
I was talking to my triathlon-expert friend about the most important part of the race: What to wear. I had already thought about this a bit (go figure) and had something in mind - some triathlon shorts and a triathlon top. Perfect, right? Apparently these two items are meant for an outdoor swim. In other words, you would wear them under a wetsuit. But in a pool swim, you want to be more sleek.
So . . .
I said, "What do you wear then?"
The answer horrified me a little bit.
Lisa: "Your swim suit!" (It sounded like she should've said "duh" at the end.)
Me: "For the whole race?"
Lisa: "Yeah." ("Duh" again.)
Me: "You bike in a swim suit? . . . and you run . . ."
Then another friend butted in to help me out.
She said, "I can't run in a swim suit. I need a sports bra."
Lisa: "Well, you can wear a sports bra under your suit, but you can't, Tiffanie."
Me: "Why?"
Lisa - "Because it'll slow you down and you don't need one."
So . . .
First, apparently I still belong to a certain committee. I have had the privilege of taking hiatus from that committee a few times - three to be exact.
Second, what the heck have I gotten myself into? I thought I was pretty self-confident, but biking and running in a swim suit may be beyond my level of comfort. Admittedly I have done each before . . . when I was 10! Add to the excitement a projected temp of 50-55 degrees. Brrr!
In the future I might stick to one sport at a time. It's easier to choose clothes accordingly and even be slightly fashionable. And that's the most important thing, right? I mean, really, sneakers with a swim suit?
7 years ago
2 comments:
Ugh. I am inspired by your athletic prowess. I think I will remain on the sidelines and cheer you on. Good luck! I hope you figure out the ...er...outfit? I would NEVER feel comfortable in a swim suit while running and biking. And, no sports bra? Sheesh. I can think of a million puns that probably are inappropriate for a comment : ).
That's hilarious! Especially because my husband and I are going for our first tri next Saturday and are currently figuring out outfits.
Ours is in a lake, so we'll be doing the wetsuit thing with the outfit underneath, but I am completely ready to add to my overall time by putting on running shorts over my spandex ones. I just feel I'd rather increase my time so I could feel a little more comfortable (and hidden), than go for a super fast transition and reveal what my body looks like after 5 kids. I'm guessing all the spectators would appreciate it as well.
Good luck!
Post a Comment